Special Issue "Hand-Based Biometrics Sensors and Systems"
A special issue of Sensors (ISSN 1424-8220).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 January 2012)
Biometric technology has been attracting more and more attention from researchers and engineers of personal authentication, due to both the ever-growing demand on security and the competitive advantages of biometrics over traditional authentication technology. With the fast development of biometric sensors and algorithms, diverse biometric systems have been now deployed in various applications. Among these biometric technologies, the hand-based biometrics (including fingerprint, palm-print, hand geometry or hand shape, finger-knuckle print, hand vein, etc.) are most popular and have the largest (about 60%) shares in the biometrics market. However, there are still many challenging problems involved in improving the accuracy, robustness, efficiency, and user-friendliness of hand-based biometric systems, and new problems are also emerging with new applications, e.g. personal authentication on mobile devices and internet.
This special issue aims to introduce the recent progress of hand-based biometrics and timely address the challenges in designing, developing, and deploying modern hand-based biometrics sensors and systems for various practical applications. It will provide researchers and engineers an efficient way to share their latest research results, findings and experience in relevant fields. Specifically, it will help to identify new hand-based biometric technologies, new problems with hand-based biometrics, and new applications of hand-based biometrics.
The scope of this special issue, but not limited to, the following topics:
- New sensors for hand-based biometric data acquisition
- New system design for hand-based biometrics system
- Preprocessing, indexing and recognition of fingerprint, palm-print, hand geometry (or hand shape), finger-knuckle-print, hand vein, and other hand-based biometrics
- New and novel hand-based biometrics
- Multi-modal hand-based biometrics
- Securing and anti-spoofing techniques for hand-based biometrics
- Touchless (or contact-free) and 3D hand-based biometrics
- Applications of hand-based biometrics
Dr. Lei Zhang
- hand-based biometric authentication
- fingerprint; palmprint
- hand geometry
- hand vein
- system design
- data sensing
- multi-modal biometrics