Special Issue "Two Dimensional (2D) Materials Photonics, Optoelectronics and Electronics"
A special issue of Photonics (ISSN 2304-6732).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (15 September 2014)
Dr. Wenjuan Zhu
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center Yorktown Heights, NY, USA
Website | E-Mail
Interests: graphene; two dimentional (2D) crystals; current transport; logic devices; radio frequency devices; graphene plasmonics; 2D crystal photo-detectors; transition metal dichalcogenides; CMOS technologies; high-k dielectrics
This Special Issue of Photonics focuses on new research results and practical solutions in the fields of two-dimensional (2D) crystal photonics, optoelectronics, and electronics. 2D crystals have received much attention in recent years, because of their unusual properties (which are associated with their ultra-thin thickness and 2D morphology). The discovery of graphene, i.e., a single atomic layer of carbon, can be considered a defining point in the research and development of stable, truly 2D material systems. Besides graphene, other types of 2D nanomaterials, such as transition metal dichalcogenides, have also been studied and applied in various applications, including in electronics, optoelectronics, and energy storage devices.
This Special Issue covers a large scope of research in 2D crystal photonics, optoelectronics, and electronics, and solicits contributions in, but not limited to:
- Electronic band structure and current transport of 2D crystals
- Light-matter interaction in 2D crystals
- Interactions of 2D crystals with their substrates and environment
- Photonic and optoelectronic devices based on 2D crystals, including photo-detectors, light emitting diodes, optical modulators, lasers, optical frequency converters, polarizers, terahertz devices, waveguides, etc.
- Electronic devices based on 2D crystals for logic, analog, and power applications
- Plasmonic devices and metamaterials based on 2D crystals
- Heterostructures of 2D crystals
- Batteries, fuel cells, photovoltaic cells, and super-capacitors based on 2D crystals for energy storage
- Flexible photonic and electronic devices based on 2D crystals
- Sensors based on 2D crystals for medical and biological applications
Dr. Wenjuan Zhu
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. Papers will be published continuously (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are refereed through a peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Photonics is an international peer-reviewed Open Access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 350 CHF (Swiss Francs). English correction and/or formatting fees of 250 CHF (Swiss Francs) will be charged in certain cases for those articles accepted for publication that require extensive additional formatting and/or English corrections.
- transition metal dichalcogenides
- photonic and optoelectronic devices
- electronic devices
- 2d crystal heterostructures
- plasmonic devices
- flexible circuits
- spintronic devices