Special Issue "Innovative Aspects in Flood Risk Evaluation, Mapping and Communication"
A special issue of Water (ISSN 2073-4441).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 March 2017)
Prof. Dr. Giuseppe Tito Aronica
The diversity in methodological approaches taken and terminology used in hazard and vulnerability modelling, risk mapping, uncertainty assessment and visualisation in different science and practice communities brings challenges in establishing a comprehensive, robust and reliable picture of flood risk. This Special Issue of the ‘Water’ Journal is designed to address this problem by presenting innovative results on the following topics:
- Methods for hazard and vulnerability modelling, risk mapping, uncertainty assessment and visualisation.
- Validation of hazard, vulnerability and risk estimates—How can the quantification of different components of flood risk be confirmed?
- Representing the diverse nature of the flood hazard and consequences—How can flood risk maps incorporate and deal with different flood types (e.g. urban flooding, flash flood, coastal flooding) and aspects of vulnerability (e.g. monetary loss, impacts on infrastructure, environmental damage)?
- Improved communication of best estimates and associated uncertainty—How can flood hazard and risk maps communicate risk statements more effectively and meaningfully to different map users? What are adequate representations of the associated uncertainty?
- Use of flood maps in the insurance and re-insurance business—How can historical records and the results of modelling of development and climate change scenarios be employed to assess potential future impacts?
Prof. Dr. Giuseppe Tito Aronica
Prof. Dr. Bruno Merz
Prof. Slobodan Djordjevic
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Water is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- flood risk mapping
- vulnerability and damage modelling
- risk communication