Special Issue "Water Policy"
A special issue of Water (ISSN 2073-4441).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 May 2011)
Prof. Dr. Davide Viaggi (Website)
University of Bologna, Department of Agricultural Sciences, Viale Fanin, 50, 40127 Bologna, Italy
Interests: agricultural policy evaluation; water policy; environmental impact assessment and resource economics; evaluation of technical change and innovation in agriculture and food; farm investment behaviour; land markets; public goods in agriculture and forestry
Water policies can be intended as mechanisms arranged to reach explicit goals, mainly by public bodies in charge of water management. Water policies play a major role as determinant of water use and resource management. As they determine the interplay between resource availability and deliberate human action, they are also central in the debate about water use.
This special issue aims to encourage dialogue between researchers, policy makers and practitioners on the issue of improvement of water policy and related management practices, through an interdisciplinary perspective including in particular economics, political science and social sciences. In this framework, high quality papers illustrating original research about the following issues are sought:
- Experiences and open issues with recent regional policy approaches (e.g. water framework directive in EU countries).
- Innovative policy instruments and mechanisms (water markets, auctions, pricing mechanisms).
- Ex-post and ex ante policy evaluation approaches, methods and tools, and their application to cost-benefit and cost-effectiveness analysis of water policy measures.
- Coordination between water policy and specific sector policies (e.g. agriculture, energy).
- Water policy in the context of drought and climate change management, adaptation and response.
- Water policy and wider economic and social issues (global economic networks, health, food security).
- Water policy and institutional settings.
Dr. Davide Viaggi
- policy design
- policy instruments
- water markets
- water framework directive
- policy evaluation